Friday, March 30, 2007

Shakespeare in Love

Tania Says
Love this movie. Seriously. I know it is probably because I am a huge theater geek but all the inside Shakespeare jokes and watching the kids put on a show sure makes me happy! Again, if you don’t know the story – it is about Shakespeare writing Romeo and Juliet and finding his muse that helped him create the play. Of course, it isn’t smooth sailing and they end up as star-crossed lovers as well and it is all so romantic and period and I love that stuff. And at the end he ends up writing Twelfth Night which I love and I feel all smart because I recognize Twelfth Night!

Now, I have seen Romeo and Juliet more then any other Shakespeare play and I really love it. I don’t love it because of all the mushy Romeo and Juliet crap but because it is really very funny and teaches a great lesson about what hate can do to someone as well as what love can do. And it has one of the best Shakespeare characters EVER – Mercutio. You know who I want to see really play Mercutio? Affleck because he is freaking hysterical in this movie. Without a doubt my favorite Affleck performance. Affleck’s character is really a leading man type and there are great jokes about how the play is named Mercutio so he will play the role but seriously, Mercutio is the best. Josh and I saw Romeo and Juliet last summer at Williamstown and we loved it each time Mercutio was on stage and considered leaving when he died. Also, when we saw Romeo and Juliet at the Guthrie Mercutio was snorting cocaine the whole time! Come on! Would you rather be whiney Romeo or the guy snorting coke in leather pants? Anway – this review isn’t about the greatness of Mercutio so I will move on.

The movie is just great fun and although it has a sad ending it all seems ok somehow because getting there at all was a triumph. Joseph Fiennes is great as Shakespeare. He has these soulful eyes and the language just trips off his tongue. Paltrow is fine. I don’t understand all the fuss because her accent seems a little labored when compared to the actual brits in the film. But she looks pretty and can handle the language. The supporting roles are all super fine – the previously mentioned Affleck, Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth, and Judy Dench, who won an Oscar for the 6 minutes she is on screen. I know this movie isn’t for everyone (my parents would hate it! I think they feel they have given enough time to Shakespeare by coming to see my shows) but if you love Shakespeare, period films or a good love story then check it out. It won an Oscar you know?

Josh Says:
See Tania's review, take out all of the hyperbole tone it down about three notches and that's about where I am. I liked the movie a lot. Love might be too strong. I thought everyone (except Paltrow) did a great job (ok, Paltrow wasn't bad). My biggest quibble with this one is there's just not enough Affleck but I felt the same way about the next movie we'll be reviewing................

2 comments:

Carrie said...

OK - I have so much to comment on... First I too love this movie, and part of it is cause Fiennes totally reminds me of my Timmy. Sigh... And well basically I agree with everything Tania said. Mercutio is the best character... and that is why Tim and I walked out on the Ordway's production of "Romeo & Juliet" the musical, cause seriously - we(Tim and I) dubbed Mercutio "Jar Jar Binks Mercutio" and there for had to flee the building. Such a complete and total disrespect to the character. ARGH!!!! And lastly, my dear dear Affleck. I can always use more Affleck - but then I have a question for you Josh... and I quote...

"My biggest quibble with this one is there's just not enough Affleck but I felt the same way about the next movie we'll be reviewing................"

Umm so you wanted more Affleck in Kramer vs. Kramer? I just don't get it... :)

gadietze said...

Affleck was the bomb in phantoms. But I digress.
Great movie. And Mercutio is a great character. About the only good thing the Guthrie version had going for it.
But I digress.
Taking a well known tale and inserting a lot of conjecture into how it might have come about. Brilliant. This is definitely one of the better screenplays to come out of the 90's.
I'm blanking, but ratboy's character is one of the best as well. He likes the bloody stuff.
Great film. Gwyneth best actress? Not so much. But it makes more sense than Julia Roberts.
Here's to Apples mom.