Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Aladdin Movie Review

Tania Says:
Oh Aladdin. I use to love you and your movie. Maybe I have seen you too much – maybe we needed more space. Maybe it is because I saw a dear friend in a magical stage version of your little tale and that was more entertaining. Maybe I am just cynical and it isn’t you at all but it’s me.

Okay – we watched Aladdin and I was honestly a little bored. I liked the songs and stuff but I have never realized how slow it is until the Genie shows up AND usually I hate Robin Williams. I mean – I really think he is on crack. I do enjoy some of his dramatical work but his crazy improve, look at me stuff isn’t funny to me. Yet, I found the movie improved when he showed up – go figure! And I actually think Gilbert Godfrey as Iago has some entertaining moments. Maybe the magic of this film is that they can take annoying actors and make them mildly funny. Maybe it is because we don’t have to actually look at said annoying actors and that makes them funny. Either way, it is an unusual phenomenon and one I would like to explore further. Maybe a Disney cartoon is the way to make Dr. Phil and the little kid from Heros less annoying.

Anyway – the movie is fine I guess. I am probably selling it short because of the millions of times I watched it back in the day and the millions of times I popped the cassette tape of the soundtrack into the car “stereo” and listened to the music. The movie is a welcome addition to any household with children. I guess it teaches you to be yourself and all that stuff.

Josh says:
Well, after seeing the stage version at the Children's Theatre, I was expecting Jasmine to be....well......hotter. I guess that's one of the downsides to movie adaptations of Musicals (it was a musical first...right?), it's so hard to find the right talent in Hollywood.

I actually didn't hate this movie as much as I thought I would. Understand though, that this means that I actually sat through the entire thing with only occasional, fleeting thoughts of suicide.

It's not so much that Jasmine wasn't the hotty I was hoping for (she actually ended up looking really cartoony for some reason?). It's not just that I find Robin Williams to be one of the most annoying human beings on the planet (sickeningly, he's one of the most enjoyable things about this movie). It's not even that Gilbert Gottfried is one of a select few that stand ahead of Robin Williams in the quest for "America's Most Annoying Celebrity" (why isn't this on Fox?). It's more simply just because I HATE MUSICALS AND I HATE DISNEY CARTOON MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like a good cartoon. You really can't argue with the greatness of The Simpsons or Family Guy, I even like some less adult, more old school stuff. Animaniacs? Love it. Pinky & The Brain? Come on now. I just think that Disney has been robbing the American public blind for a long time now by marketing trash to little kids in such a way that makes it hard for them, nigh, impossible for them to resist.

Save your kids, save yourself and save the art of movie making. Stop propelling movies like this to the top of the box office charts year after year.

7 comments:

gadietze said...

I definitely think this movie is a product of its time. It hasn't aged as well as some other Disney films. But it was one of the three that heralded a huge resurgence in animation for the country.
Robin Williams can be annoying(totally agree with that), but his crazy manchild schtick worked so much better in the 70's and 80's than it did in the 90's and now.
And I can understand that you don't like Gilbert, but go to youtube and type the keywords, Gilbert, aristocrats and roast, and watch how gilbert turns a "too soon" joke on 9/11 into comic gold.

Kids still love this movie though, and isn't that what's important?

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie when it first came out - although it is no Lion King, and as a mother of a soon to be three year old, I have new found respect for it. Now I understand what you all are saying, however, you don't realize how good it is until you have had to sit through the rest of the CRAP that is out there for kids...Dora - Josh, you won't only be contmeplating suicide, you'll be doing it in 2 different languages, and typically it will consist of finding the sharpest item you possibly can and forcing it as hard as you can into your ear so you will no longer hear that insipid voice and off key singing. So I don't care if Disney is ripping me off, cause at least I can sing along...

Sidebar - if you haven't seen this yet - go watch it



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7eLgaddI4


Oh - and when your daugther doesn't watch any of the scary parts - i.e. the beginning or most things with Jafar, you get to the genie a lot sooner. :)

Anonymous said...

"Kids still love this movie though, and isn't that what's important?"

Well said Gary, well said.

Tania said...

I totally understand what you are saying Carrie - Aladdin is the lesser of many, many evils - especially without the boring parts :) And I love the music. I remember listening to the cassette in my car. As long as it entertains the kids!

Unknown said...

come on josh~ didnt we see this on thanksgiving many moons ago? i can't stand it. It is a sort of torture to me.

Carrie said...

I just reread this post, and I can't believe it - Josh & Piper can hang out together and watch The Animaniacs! She loves them, but doesn't like Brain - he's too mean.

Anonymous said...

This is an animated movie . i had watched this movie for many years.My friend downloaded this movie and then we both watch it.if you also want to download Aladdin movie you can download it from this link