Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Movie Review: X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Tania says:
I was sad that Josh and I never got to see this movie in the theater because like I said before – I totally dig these movies. So I wanted to be a part of the theater viewing experience but that didn’t happen because we are lame and never go to the theater. So we netflix’d it and watched it right away after volume two. And I have to say – I didn’t like it as much as the previous 2 installments AND I got a little bored and I believe I fell asleep for like 10 minutes. I don’t want to get bored in an action movie. But then I told Josh – Hey that was a little boring and he said it wasn’t boring but it was trying to cram too many stories into one film. That is true. It is about Jean Grey and he crazy new mutant powers and it is about this mutant vaccine and it is about Kelsey Grammer in some blue makeup.

Again I never read the comics but it is my understanding that each of the stories they tried to tackle were pretty big stand alone stories in the books so I am not sure why they wanted to cram all this stuff in. The movie is unfocused and busy and all of that combines to make me lose interest pretty fast when the movie is whipping around from one story to the next. James Marsden still sucks super bad and where did Nightcrawler go? I want him back! Like I said – they add Kelsey Grammar who did a fine job. Again – don’t know the character but when I heard Kelsey was going to be an X-Man I laughed and laughed but it all seemed to work out. And then they added that freaky girl from “Hard Candy” as Kitty Pryde and she didn’t do much at all and I wondered why they added her now? Is this the last movie in the series? Anyway again I enjoyed Hugh Jackman and Captain Picard and Gandolf. They always bring it. So – I don’t know if I recommend this movie – I guess I do because it is still X-Men which better then a lot of the action crap people are throwing at us nowadays.

Josh Says:
I too was disappointed at not catching this one in the theater (although the plasma is a pretty sweet substitute) then I saw it and wasn't disappointed in anything but the movie itself. It's trying to tell way too much in far to much detail in too little time and loses a lot for that. After hurting my head a little trying to follow the action, I eventually just tuned out.

Quick semi-related side note:
He ruined the Silence of the Lambs series, he's killed the X-Men series but the incredible success of Rush Hour 1, 2 & 3 just keeps hollywood knocking on Brett Ratner's door...........hmmm.....come to think of it, I did just read that Peter Jackson got nixed for the LOTR prequels...........NNOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

See ya watched it after the wrong movie, I saw X-Men 3 after seeing MI-3 (BLECH!!! - But you were there so you would know that!) and The DaVinci Code (double blech and triple yawn) - after those two, X-men 3 was a breath of fresh air. Plus it had one billion McSteamys. However, while I thought Kelsey was better then I expected I still heard Niles mocking him in my head throughout the movie. OH and please tell me you watched the bit at the end of the credits.

BTW - Have I mentioned I LOVE your blog!!!